Contact Us
Westport Daily Voice serves Weston & Westport
Return to your home site


Westport Daily Voice serves Weston & Westport

Nearby Towns


Traffic Alert: Bayberry Lane Bridge Will Be Reduced To One Lane In Westport

The Bayberry Lane bridge over the Aspetuck River in Westport will be reduced to one lane.
The Bayberry Lane bridge over the Aspetuck River in Westport will be reduced to one lane. Photo Credit: Google Map

WESTPORT, Conn. — In response to a Connecticut Department of Transportation bridge inspection, Westport will be reducing the Bayberry Lane Bridge over the Aspetuck River to alternating one-lane traffic in the near future.

The state inspection report has de-rated the outer beams of the bridge and full traffic loads are no longer allowed, First Selectman Jim Marpe said.

By reducing the bridge width to the inner single lane, the load rating on the bridge will remain valid for all legal loads, he said.

This will allow the general public, school buses, and emergency service vehicles, as well as snow maintenance vehicles, to pass over the bridge for the foreseeable future, Marpe said.

The bridge is eligible for replacement under the Federal Local Bridge Program administered by the DOT.

The cost of the bridge replacement will be reimbursed 80 percent with federal aid, and the remaining 20 percent will be paid from municipal funds, Marpe said.

The project design is expected to begin early next year, with construction likely in 2019 or 2020.

Marpe noted that local and state policy encourages that residents be informed on such projects and encourages residents to raise any concerns with municipal officials early in the planning process. Anyone who wants additional information may contact the Westport Public Works Department at 203-341-1120.

The federal aid for the project was authorized under the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act, which is administered by the Federal Highway Administration and the Connecticut Department of Transportation.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Westport Daily Voice!

Serves Weston & Westport

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.