The event featured a 5k walk and timed 5k and 10k races. About 1,500 people ran in the two races, with an additional 2,600 participating in the walk. There was also a bicycle ride held in Westport with the Sound Cyclists Bloomin' Metric Bicycle Tour.
Hope in Motion has so far raised more than $760,000 for the Bennett Cancer Center, which provides clinical care, support services, prevention and wellness services and post-treatment programs for cancer patients. Hope in Motion is a year-round fundraising initiative, with donations being accepted until September 30.
The event has grown every year it has been held, said Liz Manfredo, director of Cancer Services at the Bennett Cancer Center.
"It really is truly amazing to see the community come out to support the Bennett Cancer Center," Manfredo said. She said it was especially nice to see all the cancer survivors who participated in the race.
"This day energizes the staff every year. To see people we've treated come out and walk, support us and walk with their families, is truly heartwarming."
Among the runners of the 5k race was 7-year-old Hannah Evans, who ran with her parents Kami and Anthony.
"It was hard," said Hannah, who finished in about an hour. This was her first 5k and said it was the farthest she has ever run. She said she wants to come back for the race again next year.
The top finishers for the 5k race were:
- Gilmar Barrios of Stamford, 16:10
- Timothy Moylan of Stamford, 17:06
- Kerri Lyons of Wilton, 17:27
- Keith White of Norwalk, 17:44
- Matthew Considine of Stamford, 18:21
- Bruce Semer of Greenwich, 18:32
- Daniel Berger of Stamford, 18:32
- Kurt Koschnitzke of New Canaan, 18:42
- James Neufeld of Stamford, 18:44
- Kyle Webb of Stamford, 18:46
The top finishers of the 10k race were:
- Alan Hagander of Darien, 36:45
- Jeff Watson of Stamford, 36:52
- Mary Zengo of Wilton, 37:32
- Caitlin Stote of Stamford, 39:36
- Robert Gallace of Southport, 39:43
- Matthew Galione of Stamford, 39:57
- Robert Pogue of Stamford, 40:10
- Sonali Pawar of Stamford, 40:18
- Bill Hunter of Fairfield, 41:11
- Amber Johnston of Stamford, 41:47
Click here to see full results for the race.
- 1 Man Charged With Stealing Credit Cards, Identities From Westport Cars
- 2 Westport Woman, 55, Charged With DUI, Erratic Driving
- 3 Red Flag Warning Issued For Fairfield County
- 4 Teen Takes Responsibility For 2008 Death Of 13-Year-Old Wilton Bicyclist
- 5 Police: Two Busted With Heroin During Motor Vehicle Stop In Westport