Contact Us
Westport Daily Voice serves Weston & Westport

Menu

Westport Daily Voice serves Weston & Westport

Nearby Towns

police & fire

No One Hurt In Propane Explosion In Westport Kitchen

Damage caused by a small propane explosion in the kitchen of a Westport home Tuesday morning. No one was hurt.
Damage caused by a small propane explosion in the kitchen of a Westport home Tuesday morning. No one was hurt. Photo Credit: Westport Fire Department

WESTPORT, Conn. — A kitchen range-top that blew apart in a propane explosion in a Westport home on Tuesday morning had been recalled over five years ago, fire officials said.

No one was injured in the small explosion, fire officials said.

A resident attempted to turn on the propane-supplied kitchen range-top and immediately a small explosion occurred beneath the unit just before 9 a.m. Tuesday, the Westport Fire Department said. This explosion was likely the result of a failure or leak in the unit, the department said.

Quick action of the resident to shut off the burner control prevented further damage. Firefighters discovered range-top parts and cabinetry had been strewn about the kitchen.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission was notified of the incident by the Fire Marshal’s Office, who found the gas range-top had been recalled in 2011. Six other reports involving explosions have been reported to the manufacturer. A link to the recall can be found here .

If you smell gas or have any problem with any fuel-fired appliance, immediately leave the area and call 911, fire officials said. Residents are also reminded that they can check the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission website for safety data, information, and recalls.

If you have any questions or concerns, you can contact the Westport Fire Marshal’s Office at 203-341-5020 or the Consumer Product Safety Commission at CPSC.gov .

Welcome to

Westport Daily Voice!

Serves Weston & Westport

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.