WESTPORT, Conn. -- Transit Committee Chairman Peter Gold and Westport First Selectman Jim Marpe recently announced that Westport is seeking candidates to fill the volunteer appointment of Westport Transit District Director.
Current directors Jennifer Johnson and Gene Cederbaum recently announced their resignations and both positions are now vacant. WTD directors are responsible for setting the policies for, and overseeing the overall operation of, Westport’s bus system including the commuter routes to Westport’s two train stations, the Imperial Avenue Shuttle, and the door-to-door services for the elderly and people with disabilities.
The day-to-day operation of the WTD has been contracted out to the Norwalk Transit District. Some specific duties of the transit director include:
- Establishing the strategic direction for the WTD;
- Preparing and submitting the annual WTD budget with the assistance of the NTD and the town’s director of finance;
- Setting policies for the WTD including policies regarding routes, schedules, services to be provided, and service levels;
- Overseeing the NTD’s operations both with respect to carrying out policies set by the WTD and in carrying out the day-to-day operations of Westport’s bus system;
- Working with the RTM Transit Committee to review the current WTD governance structure and make recommendations for appropriate changes;
- Developing and implementing plans to increase ridership and awareness of WTD’s services and routes'
- Reviewing the WTD’s route structure and operating elements to control costs and increase efficiency.
Eligible applicants must be registered voters in Westport. If you are interested in being considered, please email a resume and/or statement of interest including your contact information to both firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.