WESTPORT, Conn. -- Former Westport resident Doug Sheffer was killed along with two others when he was piloting a helicopter that crashed south of Silt, Colo., on Monday, Jan. 27, according to postindependent.com.
Sheffer, who was the owner of DBS helicopters, was inspecting power lines in the area when his Bell LongRanger snagged a line and went down, postindependent.com reported.
According to his biography on the DBS website, Sheffer had 22 years of experience and more than 8,000 hours of flying in elevations of more than 8,000 feet.
Sheffer grew up in Westport and graduated from Staples High in 1968.
- 1 Firefighters Battle Blaze At Home In Westport's Saugatuck Shores
- 2 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money
- 3 Teen Killed After Being Hit By Car Crossing Road To Danbury Pizza Place
- 4 Just In Time For 'Shark Week,' New Sighting Reported Off Long Island Waters
- 5 Rain Could Spoil July 4 Events, Celebrations In Westport