WESTPORT, Conn. -- Former Westport resident Doug Sheffer was killed along with two others when he was piloting a helicopter that crashed south of Silt, Colo., on Monday, Jan. 27, according to postindependent.com.
Sheffer, who was the owner of DBS helicopters, was inspecting power lines in the area when his Bell LongRanger snagged a line and went down, postindependent.com reported.
According to his biography on the DBS website, Sheffer had 22 years of experience and more than 8,000 hours of flying in elevations of more than 8,000 feet.
Sheffer grew up in Westport and graduated from Staples High in 1968.
- 1 Man Shot To Death At Bridgeport Restaurant; Owner Injured
- 2 Police ID Homeless Man Whose Legs Were Found Near New Haven Train Station
- 3 Cigarette Assault Arrest, Opening Of CrossFit Westport Top Week's News
- 4 Black Bear Spotted In Yard On Sunnyside Lane In Westport
- 5 Saugatuck Rowers Win 4 Gold Medals At Club Nationals