WESTPORT, Conn. -- Former Westport resident Doug Sheffer was killed along with two others when he was piloting a helicopter that crashed south of Silt, Colo., on Monday, Jan. 27, according to postindependent.com.
Sheffer, who was the owner of DBS helicopters, was inspecting power lines in the area when his Bell LongRanger snagged a line and went down, postindependent.com reported.
According to his biography on the DBS website, Sheffer had 22 years of experience and more than 8,000 hours of flying in elevations of more than 8,000 feet.
Sheffer grew up in Westport and graduated from Staples High in 1968.
- 1 Family Asks For Help In Finding Missing College Student, 21, From Fairfield
- 2 Westport Residents Experience Sweet Success With Nothin' But Foods
- 3 Norwalk Cop Prevents Metro-North Train From Hitting Car On Tracks
- 4 Westport Will See Widespread Snow Sunday Into Monday
- 5 Police Search Icy Lake Ontario For Missing Student, 21, From Fairfield