WESTPORT, Conn. -- Former Westport resident Doug Sheffer was killed along with two others when he was piloting a helicopter that crashed south of Silt, Colo., on Monday, Jan. 27, according to postindependent.com.
Sheffer, who was the owner of DBS helicopters, was inspecting power lines in the area when his Bell LongRanger snagged a line and went down, postindependent.com reported.
According to his biography on the DBS website, Sheffer had 22 years of experience and more than 8,000 hours of flying in elevations of more than 8,000 feet.
Sheffer grew up in Westport and graduated from Staples High in 1968.
- 1 Westport Mom Charged With Leaving Baby In Car At Whole Foods
- 2 Westport Firefighters Douse Blaze In Backyard Gas Grill
- 3 Westport Fire Assists In Rescue Of Two Girls After Tubing Accident
- 4 Greenwich Girl, 17, Issued Tickets In Boating Death Of Friend Last Summer
- 5 Man Drowns In Creek On Bridgeport/Fairfield Border After Bar Fight