WESTPORT, Conn. -- Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Westport last week:
- Staples High School in Westport was ranked among the best high schools in the nation by The Daily Beast.
- William Pitt Sotheby’s International Realty has listed a Saugatuck River estate for sale that was designed by Fairfield County architect Peter Cadoux. The house is located in a private waterfront community in Westport.
- Guy Franklin, 60, of South Carolina, who was spotted asleep at the wheel of his car with the engine running on the Post Road, was arrested on drunken-driving charges .
- Pop singer Ashlee Simpson and actor Evan Ross got married , reciting their vows in a star-studded ceremony at the Greenwich home of the groom's mother, Diana Ross.
- The town of Westport has successfully completed a novel negotiation with Wheelabrator Bridgeport for a new contract to dispose of solid waste that will save the town over $110,000 annually and more than $1.1 million during its 10-year term.
- As a part of the national "U Drive, U Text, U Pay" campaign, Westport police will be watching drivers with a closer eye through much of September.
Staples High School’s Hannah DeBalsi is among the best cross country runners in the country, according to a preseason ranking by MileSplit.com. It ranked DeBalsi, a junior at Staples, as the nation’s No. 1 runner among high school girls.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.