WESTPORT, Conn. — It was one of the strangest sights in the wake of this week's nor'easter: A downed power line sparked a fire in a tree's root system and caused the soil to boil.
The fire, which occurred Monday on Caccamo Trail, burned for about 10 hours, according to the Westport Fire Department.
"Please be safe and stay away from down power lines at all times," the fire department said in a Facebook post. "The ground was hot enough to boil the water being used to try put out the fire."
Thousands of Westport customers lost electricity in the storm due to widespread outages. Schools were even closed on Monday due to the power problems. All power outages have been restored in Westport since the powerful storm dumped about 4 inches of rain on the town.
Click here to see a video of the blaze from the Westport Fire Department.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.