Eversource reported that 2,832 electric customers in Connecticut were still without power on Thursday, March 8.
Eversource has been informing the City of Stamford that its residents should expect an average of three days until power restoration, in many cases.
Stamford Mayor David Martin said, “Unfortunately Stamford was hit hard by this storm with many trees and power lines down."
"At this time Eversource is struggling to provide restoration in a timely manner. It appears that power restoration will take days and I am disappointed that they cannot provide better service," Martin said in a news statement.
Stamford received 10 inches of wet, compact snow on Wednesday, March 7. The heavy snowfall caused numerous trees and limbs to snap under the heavy weight and windy conditions, city officials said.
There were more than 800 calls into the 911 Communications Center during the storm. Approximately 258 wires, transformers and trees are down across Stamford.
Martin said that conditions overnight "were so treacherous that even our first responders and operations crews encountered falling live wires with at one point a school bus, an EMS vehicle, an Operations vehicle and a fire truck had live wires on them."
Stamford’s Emergency Operations Center remains activated.
Currently, 27 roads are impassable due to downed wires, and City of Stamford operations crews are helping Eversource by clearing roads to allow them to get to the wires (most of them are north of Bulls Head, predominantly north of the Merritt Parkway). .
Stamford Public Schools remained closed Thursday due to the effects of the storm on roads with the dangerous conditions of numerous wires and trees down.
More than 40 cars were towed for not complying with the Snow Emergency.
· Downed power lines should be reported immediately to Eversource at 1-800-286-2000 .
Community shelters are open for residents without power where residents can warm up, and recharge their electronics:
· Stamford Government Center – 888 Washington Boulevard
· Building One Community – 75 Selleck Street
· Jewish Community Center – 1035 Newfield Avenue (open until 10:00 p.m.)
· Faith Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church – 29 Grove Street (open until 4 p.m.)
· Inspirica Overnight Shelter – 8 Woodland Place
· Long Ridge Fire Station 1 – 366 Old Long Ridge Road
· Turn of River Fire Station 1 – 286 Turn of River Road
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.