WESTPORT, Conn. -- The Westport Weston Family Y has hired an All American swimmer to be the new head age group coach of the Water Rat Swim Team and the assistant director of Competitive Swimming.
Chandler Crosby is joining our Family Y. He hails from New Canaan, where he swam for the high school and the New Canaan Y. After high school, he attended Southern Connecticut State University, where he was an All American.
After graduating from SCSU, Crosby worked as a fifth grade teacher in Florida for eight years. Even though he loved the classroom and was named Teacher of the Year, he missed the pool and his home state of Connecticut.
For the past two years, Crosby has been on the coaching staff of the New Canaan Y Caimans, where he has worked with every practice group, including pre-competitive, 8 & under, age group, senior and masters.
"It's a homecoming of sorts for Chandler," says Head Coach Ellen Johnston. "Early in his coaching career, Chandler was a part-time member of our coaching staff, working mainly with the 8 & under swimmers and assisting me at senior practice sessions. We're thrilled to have him back on board with us, especially as we look forward to having our new Aquatics Center for the upcoming Short Course season."
Tryouts for the Water Rats' 2014-15 season are scheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 3, at the Westport Weston Family Y at 59 Post Road E., Westport.
For new swimmers who register by 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 2, the nonrefundable fee is $25.
Check-in will take place in the Stauffer Pool Lobby.
- 9 & Over: Check-in at 4 p.m. with tryouts in the Stauffer Pool beginning at 4:30 p.m.
- 8 & Under: Check-in at 5 p.m. with tryouts in the Brophy Pool beginning at 5:30 p.m.
For new swimmers who register on Wednesday, Sept. 3, the nonrefundable fee is $40.
Last-minute registration will be in the Stauffer Pool lobby beginning at 5 p.m.
- Tryouts will be at 6:30 p.m, with 8 & Under in the Brophy Pool and 9- to 11-year-olds in the Stauffer Pool.
Parents must submit a Fall 2014 Tryout Form, which is in the 2014 WRAT Registration Packet.
Click here for more information about Water Rat tryouts and for the forms.
- 1 Pedestrian Struck, Killed By Train At Fairfield Station
- 2 Police: Missing Stamford Man Found Dead On Shippan Beach
- 3 Female Danbury High Teacher Is Charged With Sexual Assault Of Male Student
- 4 Snow Could Be Returning To Westport For Monday Morning Commute
- 5 Snow Expected To Arrive By Tuesday Afternoon In Westport