WESTPORT, Conn. -- Westport's 12-year-old softball All-Stars took the first step on the tournament trail Tuesday with an 8-6 win over Fairfield in the District 2 Tournament at Unity Park in Trumbull.
Westport won the 10- and 11-year-old state championship last year.
Most of those players from that team returned to Westport this summer. Tuesday, Sofia Alfero got the victory with six strikeouts in five innings. Emily Stone, a new addition to the team, pitched a perfect sixth inning.
Ali Green set the tone by opening the game with a double, scoring and then made a huge catch in center field in the final inning. Alfero was also the star hitter going three-for-four with a two-run triple. Natalie Schneck's RBI drove in Sam Levin in the fifth to snap a 6-6 tie. Westport ripped 13 hits.
Westport will play the winner of a game between Fairfield and Trumbull in its next game on Friday at 5:30 p.m. at Unity Park. Westport will advance to the state tournament with a victory. A Westport loss would force a deciding game on Saturday.
- 1 Westport Residents Warned To Prepare For Approaching Blizzard
- 2 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Westport, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 3 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Fairfield Sees 6-7 Inches Of Snow
- 4 18-24 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In Westport; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 5 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Westport With Snow, Ice In Forecast