WESTPORT, Conn. -- Westport's 12-year-old softball All-Stars took the first step on the tournament trail Tuesday with an 8-6 win over Fairfield in the District 2 Tournament at Unity Park in Trumbull.
Westport won the 10- and 11-year-old state championship last year.
Most of those players from that team returned to Westport this summer. Tuesday, Sofia Alfero got the victory with six strikeouts in five innings. Emily Stone, a new addition to the team, pitched a perfect sixth inning.
Ali Green set the tone by opening the game with a double, scoring and then made a huge catch in center field in the final inning. Alfero was also the star hitter going three-for-four with a two-run triple. Natalie Schneck's RBI drove in Sam Levin in the fifth to snap a 6-6 tie. Westport ripped 13 hits.
Westport will play the winner of a game between Fairfield and Trumbull in its next game on Friday at 5:30 p.m. at Unity Park. Westport will advance to the state tournament with a victory. A Westport loss would force a deciding game on Saturday.
- 1 NYC Doctor Is First Person In The Tristate Area To Test Positive For Ebola
- 2 Change In Management As CEO Resigns From Westport Weston Family Y
- 3 Power Outages Repaired In Westport After Storm
- 4 Hwang, Fawcett Clash On Same-Sex Marriage In Senate Debate
- 5 Connecticut Puts Nine People Under Quarantine To Monitor For Ebola