WESTPORT, Conn. – After winning its division in the Fairfield County Basketball League last winter, the Westport Police Athletic League eighth-grade girls team started a new season by winning four games in the Joe Coppo Memorial Tournament last weekend.
Westport defeated Ridgefield, 30-20, New Canaan, 48-21, Stamford, 37-19, and Yorktown, N.Y., 37-12. Westport was awarded second place based on point differential.
The team finished 14-10 last year, including a three-game run to win the B division in the league playoffs.
Returning players include Julia Brower, Virginia Gerig, Grace McGinley, Morgan McWhirter, Claire Meehan, Charlotte Rossi, Rachel Seideman and Olivia Troy. Mary McGee is a new addition to the team. Former Fairfield Warde basketball standouts Sam DiLeo and Kasey Keegan are the Westport coaches.
Westport plays its home opener Friday against Easton/Redding and takes on Weston on Saturday.
- 1 Nor'easter To Impact Westport On Wednesday
- 2 Westport Parents Transform Sidewalk With Chalk Messages Of Kindness
- 3 NYC Doctor Is First Person In Tristate Area To Test Positive For Ebola
- 4 Hwang, Fawcett Clash On Same-Sex Marriage In Senate Debate
- 5 Change In Management As CEO Resigns From Westport Weston Family Y