WESTPORT, Conn. – After winning its division in the Fairfield County Basketball League last winter, the Westport Police Athletic League eighth-grade girls team started a new season by winning four games in the Joe Coppo Memorial Tournament last weekend.
Westport defeated Ridgefield, 30-20, New Canaan, 48-21, Stamford, 37-19, and Yorktown, N.Y., 37-12. Westport was awarded second place based on point differential.
The team finished 14-10 last year, including a three-game run to win the B division in the league playoffs.
Returning players include Julia Brower, Virginia Gerig, Grace McGinley, Morgan McWhirter, Claire Meehan, Charlotte Rossi, Rachel Seideman and Olivia Troy. Mary McGee is a new addition to the team. Former Fairfield Warde basketball standouts Sam DiLeo and Kasey Keegan are the Westport coaches.
Westport plays its home opener Friday against Easton/Redding and takes on Weston on Saturday.
- 1 Woman Charged With Having Pot, Pills At Compo Beach In Westport
- 2 Metro-North Train Hits, Kills Man On Tracks Near Fairfield Metro Station
- 3 Threat Of Tick-Borne Diseases Serious, Growing In Fairfield, Says Report
- 4 Greenwich Educator Drops Out Of Race For Principal At Staples
- 5 Bear Drops In At Backyard, Country Club In Greenwich