WESTPORT, Conn. – After winning its division in the Fairfield County Basketball League last winter, the Westport Police Athletic League eighth-grade girls team started a new season by winning four games in the Joe Coppo Memorial Tournament last weekend.
Westport defeated Ridgefield, 30-20, New Canaan, 48-21, Stamford, 37-19, and Yorktown, N.Y., 37-12. Westport was awarded second place based on point differential.
The team finished 14-10 last year, including a three-game run to win the B division in the league playoffs.
Returning players include Julia Brower, Virginia Gerig, Grace McGinley, Morgan McWhirter, Claire Meehan, Charlotte Rossi, Rachel Seideman and Olivia Troy. Mary McGee is a new addition to the team. Former Fairfield Warde basketball standouts Sam DiLeo and Kasey Keegan are the Westport coaches.
Westport plays its home opener Friday against Easton/Redding and takes on Weston on Saturday.
- 1 Firefighters Battle Blaze At Home In Westport's Saugatuck Shores
- 2 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money
- 3 Teen Killed After Being Hit By Car Crossing Road To Danbury Pizza Place
- 4 Just In Time For 'Shark Week,' New Sighting Reported Off Long Island Waters
- 5 Rain Could Spoil July 4 Events, Celebrations In Westport