WESTPORT, Conn. – After winning its division in the Fairfield County Basketball League last winter, the Westport Police Athletic League eighth-grade girls team started a new season by winning four games in the Joe Coppo Memorial Tournament last weekend.
Westport defeated Ridgefield, 30-20, New Canaan, 48-21, Stamford, 37-19, and Yorktown, N.Y., 37-12. Westport was awarded second place based on point differential.
The team finished 14-10 last year, including a three-game run to win the B division in the league playoffs.
Returning players include Julia Brower, Virginia Gerig, Grace McGinley, Morgan McWhirter, Claire Meehan, Charlotte Rossi, Rachel Seideman and Olivia Troy. Mary McGee is a new addition to the team. Former Fairfield Warde basketball standouts Sam DiLeo and Kasey Keegan are the Westport coaches.
Westport plays its home opener Friday against Easton/Redding and takes on Weston on Saturday.
- 1 Family Asks For Help In Finding Missing College Student, 21, From Fairfield
- 2 Westport Residents Experience Sweet Success With Nothin' But Foods
- 3 Norwalk Cop Prevents Metro-North Train From Hitting Car On Tracks
- 4 Westport Will See Widespread Snow Sunday Into Monday
- 5 Police Search Icy Lake Ontario For Missing Student, 21, From Fairfield