WESTPORT, Conn. – Staples High School’s girls basketball team fell in a big hole early and lost to Darien, 45-30, in a Fairfield County Interscholastic Athletic Conference game Friday in Westport.
Staples slipped to 5-9 overall and 5-7 in the league. Darien won its sixth straight to improve to 10-4 overall and 9-3 in the league.
Nikki Bukovsky scored 17 points to lead Staples. Meg Marren had a game-high 20 points for Darien.
Darien scored the first 13 points of the game. Staples did not score until Bukovsky’s first field goal with 33 seconds left in the quarter ended the drought. Darien led 16-2 at the end of the quarter.
The Blue Wave maintained a double-digit lead for most of the game. Staples cut it to 39-30 with 3:43 left on Bukovsky's three-pointer. Darien scored the game's final six points.
Bukovsky hit four three-pointers for Staples, which has struggled to find an offensive rhythm. The Wreckers have scored 30 or fewer points in five games this season, all of them losses. Erica Stein scored seven for Staples. Madeline Schemel (two points) and Abby Lustig (four points) were the only other players to score for Staples.
The Wreckers meet St. Joseph on Tuesday. Staples needs to win three of its final six games to extend its streak of 30 consecutive state playoff appearances, which is the second longest in the state.
- 1 Family Asks For Help In Finding Missing College Student, 21, From Fairfield
- 2 Head Of Yoga Empire With Fairfield County Locations Faces Rape Allegation
- 3 Norwalk Cop Prevents Metro-North Train From Hitting Car On Tracks
- 4 Chance Of Snow Returns To Westport Overnight
- 5 Fairfield County Commuters Face Tough Road Home On Wednesday