WESTPORT, Conn. – The Saugatuck Rowing Club Juniors won four gold medals at the 2015 USRowing Club National Championships in Bethel, Ohio.
The club was second overall in team points in the women's events and third in total team points over the five-day national competition, which comprised multiple age groups and events.
Charlotte Powers, a coxswain from Fairfield, won two gold medals and a bronze with Saugatuck crews.
In winning the women's U19 eight+ race, SRC bested a field of 36 boats from clubs across the country. The team also earned impressive victories in the women's U19 four+, women's intermediate lightweight four+ and women's U19 pair. Bringing home silvers were the men's intermediate pair and women's intermediate lightweight pair. SRC earned bronze in the men's U19 pair, women's senior lightweight pair, women's U19 pair and women's U17 eight+ events.
“Club Nationals is often looked at as a harbinger of things to come, as most clubs are racing without many of their 2015 graduating seniors,” said Sharon Kriz, SRC junior director and boys head coach. “In that respect, Saugatuck is well positioned for next season and beyond, with a strong roster of returning rowers who know how to train hard and win races.”
“It was encouraging to see our girls take command of their races and turn in so many winning performances,” said Chase Graham, SRC girls head coach. “This group of rowers is ready to take over, filling the shoes left by the spring season’s national champion crew.”
In addition to competing against high-school-age athletes in the under-19 and under-17 age group events, Saugatuck juniors raced against collegiate-level athletes in the intermediate category and under-23 crews in senior events, turning in strong performances against more seasoned competitors.
Among these crews were Oliver Bub and Lucas Manning, who will represent the United States at next month’s 2015 World Junior Rowing Championships. The pair placed second in the mens' intermediate race, prevailing over rowers from collegiate programs.
The winning SRC boats included:
- Women's U19 8+ (gold) -- Lelia Boley, Westport; Tatiana Chermayeff, Rowayton; Kelsey McGinley, Westport; Caroline O’Brien, Darien; Elisabeth O’Brien, Darien; Sophie Pendrill, Scarsdale, NY; Claire Plunkett, Darien; Charlotte Powers, coxswain, Fairfield; Willemijn ten Cate, Westport
- Women's U19 4+ (gold) -- Lelia Boley, Westport; Tatiana Chermayeff, Rowayton; Kelsey McGinley, Westport; Charlotte Powers, coxswain, Fairfield; and Willemijn ten Cate, Westport
- Women's Intermediate Lightweight 4+ (gold) -- Caroline O’Brien, Darien; Elisabeth O’Brien, Darien; Sophie Pendrill, Scarsdale, NY; Alin Pasa, coxswain, Westport; and Imogen Ratcliffe, Westport.
- Women's U19 2- (gold) -- Tatiana Chermayeff, Rowayton and Imogen Ratcliffe, Westport
- Mens' Intermediate 2- (silver) -- Oliver Bub, Westport; and Lucas Manning, Westport
- Women's Intermediate Lightweight 2- (silver) and Womens Senior Lightweight 2- (bronze) -- Caroline O’Brien, Darien; and Elisabeth O’Brien, Darien
- Women's U19 2- (bronze) -- Lelia Boley, Westport; and Willemijn ten Cate, Westport
- Men's U19 2- (bronze) – Patrick Overton, Westport; and Ben Wisdom, Ridgefield
- Women's U17 8+ (bronze) – Tatiana Chermayeff, Rowayton; Quincy Cuthbertson, Westport; Jackie Hendricks, Los Angeles, CA; Kate Johnson, Westport; Kelsey McGinley, Westport; Sophie Pendrill, Scarsdale, NY; Charlotte Powers, coxswain, Fairfield; Imogen Ratcliffe, Westport; and Ciara Santry, Larchmont, N.Y.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.