RIDGEFIELD, Conn. -- Fans of Olympian Tucker West of Ridgefield got a sneak-peek of the luger Friday afternoon as he and his teammates posted photos on Twitter before the opening ceremony began in Sochi, Russia.
Tucker, 18, is the youngest member of the U.S. luge team. The selfie shows him hanging out with his teammate Chris Mazdzer, who was a 2010 Olympian as well. In another sefie he meets up with teammate Jayson Terdiman and some famous U.S. skiers as they all get decked out in the red, white and blue of their official team uniforms, designed by Ralph Lauren.
The opening ceremony can be seen at 7:30 p.m., Friday on NBC. Besides West, other local athletes to look for in the ceremony include
- Hockey player Julie Chu, of Fairfield
- Hockey player Max Pacioretty, of New Canaan
- Hockey player Kevin Shattenkirk, of Greenwich
- Mac Bohonnon, of Madison, men’s skiing (aerials)
- Lindsey Jacobellis, of Roxbury, snowboarding, snowboardcross
- Eliza Outtrim, of Hamden, freestyle skiing, moguls,
- Hockey player Jonathan Quick, of Milford
Athletes from Connecticut marching behind the flags of other nations include Redding's Brooklee Han of Australia and Stamford’s Siobhan Heekin-Canedy of Ukraine.
West will take to the luge course on Saturday morning. Fans can watch him on the big screen and cheer him on with other members of Team Tucker at the Ridgefield Playhouse, starting at 9 a.m. He will compete in two runs. The luge event will also be shown online at www.nbcolympics.com .
Read more about the Connecticut Olympians and when they will compete here in the Daily Voice.