Contact Us
Westport Daily Voice serves Weston & Westport
Return to your home site


Westport Daily Voice serves Weston & Westport

Nearby Towns


Weston Schools Brace for Heat Wave

Dominique Greek of Weston had her pool opened for the season Tuesday but said it's not hot enough yet to turn on the air conditioning.

"It's not even hot – what is it, in the 80s?" said Greek, who moved to Weston from Los Angeles two months ago. Greek was at the Weston Center on Tuesday with her children, Ruth and Robert, buying groceries. She said they may turn on the air conditioning later in the week if the weather forecast is right.

On Wednesday, a high of 93 degrees is forecast with a widespread haze, according to the National Weather Service. Thursday will see a high of 96 degrees with scattered showers and thunderstorms from 8 p.m. to midnight.

John Reed, interim superintendent of Weston schools, said he doesn't remember Weston closing or sending kids home early for hot weather in the past. The schools will be able to keep cool because the heat is expected to last only two days, he said.

In the classrooms, water will be readily available for students, who will be allowed more breaks for drinks. Physical activity will be limited during recess and gym classes, and the annual field day event at Hurlbutt Elementary School has been moved from Thursday to Friday.

Custodians will make sure air is circulating in the buildings. Reed said a large number of fans were purchased last year and will be issued to those classrooms that get the hottest – the ones that face the sun in the afternoon.

Weston Elementary School has air conditioning throughout. Weston High School is about 85 percent air-conditioned. The remaining 15 percent is all regular classrooms. Weston Middle School is 50 percent air-conditioned. At Hurlbutt Elementary School, only the media center, computer lab and administrators' offices are air-conditioned. There are window units in three classrooms to accommodate those with allergies. Students will rotate into the media center to get refreshed during the day.

The administrators' offices in all schools are air-conditioned because they all work during the summer, he said. "The students will be watched and monitored, and they will be fine," said Reed. Students who seem to be bothered by the heat will be sent to the school nurse.

Do you have a pool? When did you open it? How else do you keep cool? Leave your comments below.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Westport Daily Voice!

Serves Weston & Westport

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.