WESTON, Conn. -- Nine students and two staff members at Weston Middle School were taken to the hospital by ambulance Thursday after they "experienced some discomfort after ingesting candy" brought back from a high school trip to China, according to two letters from the Weston school superintendent.
Superintendent Colleen Palmer said all had been checked and cleared to go home by early Thursday evening.
"he Weston Police Department will follow-up with a further analysis of this candy product, as the very final safety check," Palmer's statement said.
The questionable candy was acquired in China during the high school student trip over spring vacation, she said. It was brought to the middle school Thursday and shared with a small number of students and two staff members.
"Some of the individuals experienced some discomfort after ingesting the candy," Palmer said. "As a precautionary measure all individuals who consumed this candy were transported by ambulance to the hospital to be checked by medical personnel."
Palmer was "relieved that our students and staff are safe and sound this evening. However, the events of today remind us that in our global society it is important to understand that the trustworthiness of every product we encounter may differ from that which we buy around the corner at our local stores."
She also thanked Weston Emergency Services, Weston Police Department, Westport-Weston Health District, Weston Fire Chief, and the team of nurses, administrators, and school personnel who worked together to handle the situation.
Anyone with similar candy in their possession is asked to notify the school administration and Weston Police Department.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.