WESTPORT, Conn. – The price for group tennis lessons in Westport is going up this year. The Board of Selectmen unanimously approved raising tennis instruction fees Wednesday as a way to generate more revenue for the Parks and Recreation Department.
Beginning this spring, adults will pay $13 an hour for tennis instruction, up from $10 an hour. The youth instruction fee will increase to $10 an hour from $8-an-hour.
“The average in area communities is closer to $18 an hour for tennis instruction, so even at these rates, this is a pretty good deal,” Parks and Recreation Director Stuart McCarthy said.
Under the old fees, McCarthy said, the Parks and Recreation Department wasn’t making a profit. That's why the the increases were recommended, he said.
“We just about broke even last year,” McCarthy told the board, saying that the department recouped the $128,000 it spends on tennis instruction.
The new fees, McCarthy said, will generate about $30,000 in revenue. Of that, approximately $10,000 will go toward tennis court operations, he said, while the rest will go toward building a small surplus.
It’s been about four years since tennis instruction fees were raised, McCarthy added.
Registration for tennis instruction will begin in late March or early April, McCarthy said.
- 1 Death Of Fairfield Man Found On Island Off Westport Ruled Suicide
- 2 Missing Fairfield Boater Found Dead On Westport Island
- 3 Search Begins Off Coast Of Westport For Missing Boater From Fairfield
- 4 Man Charged With Stealing Credit Cards, Identities From Westport Cars
- 5 UPDATE: Gas Leak Closes Main Street In Westport