REDDING, Conn. -- The town of Redding will hold a special town meeting on Monday, March 10.
The meeting is scheduled to begin at 7:30 p.m. at the Redding Community Center. Several items will be discussed and votes will be held on the following items:
- To approve the transfer of Wolfe Road to the Redding Land Trust as recommended by the Board of Selectmen;
- To act upon the recommendation of the Board of Finance for changes to the "Elderly Tax Relief Ordinance".
The Board of Finance has made recommendations to amend the "Elderly Tax Relief Ordinance." The following are recommendations from the board:
- Date of Application: change the date of application from Feb. 1 to Jan. 1, and the final date for application changed from May 15 to April 15. Proof of eligibility will be required with the original application and with each renewal. With this change, sufficient time is given to the Board of Finance to determine a more accurate mill rate.
- Eligibility age : the eligibility age would change from age 65 to age 67, following the Social Security guidelines. Those currently receiving the benefit will be grandfathered into the program but will be required to reapply on their next designated year. The age increase will be phased in with those 65 eligible to apply this year for the 2013 Grand List; age 66 for the 2014 Grand List; and age 67 for the 2015 Grand List.
- Residency Requirement : the residency requirement will change from three years to five years. Residence of a minimum of 183 days remains in place and this must be the applicants primary place of residency
- Reapplication: Seniors, once approved, will be required to reapply for the benefit every other year, matching the year of their birth with the odd or even year of reapplication.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.