WESTPORT, Conn. – A 27-year-old Westport woman who almost crashed into the Bridge Street bridge was charged with drunken driving Sunday morning after her blood-alcohol level tested twice the legal limit, police said.
Thandeka Mbutuma of Colony Road was spotted by police after she made a wide right-hand turn onto Bridge Street from Riverside Avenue, police said. While driving over the bridge, Mbutuma veered to the right and almost struck the bridge, the police report said.
The officer followed Mbutuma onto Compo Road South, where she almost struck a curb near a telephone pole, according to the police report. Once Mbutuma was stopped, the officer smelled alcohol on her breath and she failed field sobriety tests, police said. She submitted to a breath test with the following results: .160 and .165.
Mbutuma was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, a misdemeanor. She was released after posting a $500 bond and is due in court Dec. 12.
- 1 Westport Residents Warned To Prepare For Approaching Blizzard
- 2 Westport Dodges Worst Of Nor'easter
- 3 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Westport, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 4 18-24 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In Westport; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 5 Westport Activates Emergency Operations Center For Snowmageddon2015