WESTPORT, Conn. -- A New York man was charged Sunday morning for attempted assault of a police officer and shoplifting by the Westport Police Department.
Police arrived at the CVS Pharmacy around 10:30 a.m. and were told by the store manager that a man had entered the store and "began acting suspiciously," a police report said. When employees confronted the suspect he left the store and dropped several items hidden in his clothing, police said.
The suspect was found in a vehicle on Route 1 in the parking area behind of the Home Goods store on the Post Road East.
Officers attempted to get the suspect out of the car, but the suspect started his car and nearly struck an officer trying to leave the area, police said. According to the report, the suspect drove his car into the Stop and Shop parking lot before attempting to flee on foot.
Police identified the suspect as Akinola Ebanks, 26, of the Bronx.
Ebanks was charged with fifth-degree criminal attempt larceny, fourth-degree larceny, criminal attempt assault on a police officer, interfering with an officer, reckless driving and engaging police in pursuit.
He was held in custody in lieu of a $25,000 bond.
- 1 Police Seeking Public's Help In Search For Missing Greenwich Teen Girl
- 2 Bedford Middle School Team Heads To National Science Olympiad
- 3 Westport Mom And Son Enjoy Take Your Child To Work Day In Stamford
- 4 'I Am A Woman,' Newtown High School Graduate Jenner Says In 20/20 Interview
- 5 Mucinex Cold, Flu Medicine Recall Announced