WESTPORT, Conn. — The Westport Fire Department responded to a emergency-generator fire just after 2 p.m. Wednesday.
The generator was against a house on Compo Mill Cove. The fire was quickly extinguished, limiting the damage to only the generator itself.
With the stormy forecast for the area over the next five to six days, the Westport Fire Department reminded residents about generator safety:
- Never use a generator inside your home or an attached garage. Generators produce carbon monoxide, a deadly colorless, odorless gas.
- Make sure your generator is properly grounded to avoid electrical shocks. Check the generator owner's manual for correct grounding information.
- Keep children and pets away from your generator and use caution working around it. Generator parts quickly heat up and can burn you severely during operation. Stay away from the muffler and any other hot areas.
- Read and adhere to the manufacturer's directions for safe operation.
- A heavy-duty power cord rated for outdoor use and capable of handling the anticipated electrical load should be used for this purpose.
- Gasoline should be stored in approved, non-glass safety containers with a container closure system up to current safety standards. Don't store gasoline in any shed or garage where there is a fuel-burning appliance. Gasoline vapor can be ignited by a pilot light or other source of flame or spark.
- Extinguish all flames or cigarettes when handling gasoline or the generator.
- Always shut off the generator before refueling and turn off and disconnect all equipment powered by the generator before shutting it down. Always have a fully charged, approved fire extinguisher located nearby.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.