Contact Us
Westport Daily Voice serves Weston & Westport

Menu

Westport Daily Voice serves Weston & Westport

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Westport Firefighters Douse Blaze In Backyard Gas Grill

Flames shoot out from a propane tank at a grill fire in Westport. No one was injured.
Flames shoot out from a propane tank at a grill fire in Westport. No one was injured. Photo Credit: Westport Fire Department

WESTPORT, Conn. — When firefighters responded to a gas grill fire at a Westport home, a propane tank "vented," sending flames 10 feet out into the yard, a fire official said.

The Westport Fire Department responded at about 2:25 p.m. Friday to a gas grill fire in the rear yard of a house on Janson Drive, Assistant Fire Chief Larry Conklin said in a statement.

As firefighters stretched a hose line to extinguish the blaze, one of the 15-pound propane tanks “vented,” causing the flames to shoot out from the valve connection, Conklin said.

The fire was quickly extinguished, and the remaining propane was vented using a fog spray from the fire hose, he said.

No injuries were reported to residents or fire personnel, Conklin said.

The Westport Fire Department responded with one command car, two engines and one ladder truck.

The last fire unit cleared the scene at 3 p.m.

Conklin reminded homeowners to keep propane-fueled gas grills away from the house and, if possible, to set it up with the valve connection facing away from the home.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Westport Daily Voice!

Serves Weston & Westport

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.