WESTPORT, Conn. — When firefighters responded to a gas grill fire at a Westport home, a propane tank "vented," sending flames 10 feet out into the yard, a fire official said.
The Westport Fire Department responded at about 2:25 p.m. Friday to a gas grill fire in the rear yard of a house on Janson Drive, Assistant Fire Chief Larry Conklin said in a statement.
As firefighters stretched a hose line to extinguish the blaze, one of the 15-pound propane tanks “vented,” causing the flames to shoot out from the valve connection, Conklin said.
The fire was quickly extinguished, and the remaining propane was vented using a fog spray from the fire hose, he said.
No injuries were reported to residents or fire personnel, Conklin said.
The Westport Fire Department responded with one command car, two engines and one ladder truck.
The last fire unit cleared the scene at 3 p.m.
Conklin reminded homeowners to keep propane-fueled gas grills away from the house and, if possible, to set it up with the valve connection facing away from the home.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.