WESTPORT, Conn. -- Westport firefighters burned off propane leaking from a 500-pound tank on Surf Road on Saturday morning, Sept. 13.
Firefighters responded to the home at 10:25 a.m. Saturday after receiving a report of the odor of propane from a home under construction on Surf Road.
The firefighters arrived and began investigating the odor of propane, which was coming from an unknown source. The 500-pound tank was discovered underground a few houses away, with propane actively leaking from the tank's relief valve, fire officials said.
Assistant Chief John Plofkin called for an additional engine and the Fairfield County hazardous materials vehicle in case a burning-off of the propane was required. Protective hose lines were set up to protect the adjacent structures and fire department personnel working around the leak.
The homeowner's propane dealer was contacted to make an emergency response and to help the fire department stop the leak and remove the propane.
The leak could not be stopped because the relief valve on the tank was damaged, fire officials said. Westport firefighters who are also members of the Fairfield County Hazardous Materials Response Team assisted the propane dealer with burning off the propane to empty the tank.
Firefighters were on the scene burning off the propane well into the evening, fire officials said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.