WESTPORT, Conn. — The Westport Fire Department was forced to burn off the fuel in a leaking underground propane tank in a house on Red Coat Road on Saturday evening.
The propane leak was reported at 525 p.m. Saturday, said Assistant Fire Chief John Plofkin Jr., shift commander.
Upon arrival, firefighters determined that a 500-pound underground propane tank adjacent to the driveway was leaking.
Firefighters set up a precautionary hose line and metered the area, Plofkin said.
The incident commander determined that additional resources would be needed and contacted the Fairfield County Hazmat team.
With the Hazmat team's assistance, firefighters were able to safely burn off the propane that remained in the tank and without incident, he said.
The Westport Fire Department reminds residents to immediately call 911 if they smell a gas odor in or around their residence.
With the onset of the heating season, residents are also reminded to check their carbon monoxide and smoke detectors to make sure that they are functioning properly.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.