WESTPORT, Conn. -- The Westport Fire Department is offering safety tips to make sure all the princesses and scary ghosts trick-or-treating this year will be safe while filling their bags with goodies.
The tips, provided by the National Fire Protection Association, include:
- When choosing a costume, stay away from long trailing fabric. If your child is wearing a mask, make sure the eye holes are large enough so they can see.
- Provide children with flashlights to carry for lighting or glow sticks as part of their costume.
- Keep all decorations away from open flames and other heat sources like light bulbs and heaters. Dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper catch fire easily. Use a battery-operated candle or glow-stick in jack-o-lanterns. If you use a real candle, use extreme caution.
- Make sure children are watched at all times when candles are lit. When lighting candles inside jack-o-lanterns, use fireplace-style matches or a utility lighter. Be sure to place lit pumpkins well away from anything that can burn and far enough out of way of trick-or-treaters, doorsteps, walkways and yards.
- Tell children to stay away from open flames, including jack-o-lanterns with candles in them. Be sure they know how to stop, drop and roll if their clothing catches fire. Have them practice stopping immediately, dropping to the ground, covering their face with hands, and rolling over and over to put the flames out.
- Remember to keep exits clear of decorations so nothing blocks escape routes.
- Make sure all smoke alarms in the home are working. Decorations are the first thing to ignite in 900 reported home fires each year. Two of every five of these fires were started by a candle.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.