WESTPORT, Conn. -- In the wake of two recent fire tragedies -- one that took two lives in Fairfield on Monday, March 10, and a second that took three lives in West Haven on March 11 -- the Westport Fire Department is encouraging all residents to check the operation of their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
The U.S. Fire Administration in their Civilian Residential Fire Fatality Notice states that since Jan. 1, there have been 766 civilian fire casualties.
The Westport Fire Department recently fought a blaze at the Harvest Commons condominium complex but said properly functioning smoke detectors helped avert tragedy.
If any resident is in need of assistance with changing detector batteries or installing new ones, they may call 203-341-5010 to arrange for someone to come to their home to do so at no charge.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.