WESTPORT, Conn. — An automatic smoke detector in a home's laundry room alerted the resident and the Westport Fire Department to a fire that was brewing Tuesday, the Westport Fire Department reports.
Smoke was billowing out the Roseville Road house when the first engine company arrived, and the occupant was already outside, Assistant Fire Chief Michael Kronick says. The alarm came in at 1:51 p.m.
The incident was upgraded to a building fire, with 25 firefighters and officers responding, including three Westport engines, one Fairfield engine, one ladder truck and two additional chiefs.
The blaze was quickly extinguished with fire damage limited to a laundry room but with smoke damage throughout the residence, Kronick says.
The home's occupant was transported by Westport EMS to Norwalk Hospital for evaluation.
Smoke detectors save lives and in this case, alerted the occupant and kept fire damage minimized, he says. Without the early detection of the fire, the outcome may have been much worse, Kronick says.
Residents are reminded to check and test their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors monthly. Statistics from a National Fire Protection Association report that three of every five home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.