WESTPORT, Conn. – A fire broke out in the rear greenhouse at Daybreak Nurseries in Westport on Wednesday night, but it was extinguished before it could spread to the main portion of the business, fire officials said.
Firefighters received the call at 5:30 p.m. Upon arrival, they saw fire burning through the roof of the greenhouse in the back of the complex, located at 500 Main St., Assistant Fire Chief Larry Conklin said. All of Westport’s on-duty firefighters, plus an engine company from Wilton, responded.
Firefighters contained the flames to the rear of the greenhouse, and the blaze was under control at about after 6:03 p.m., Conklin said.
The fire marshal’s office traced the origin of the fire to a wood-drying kiln in the storage area of the greenhouse and determined the fire was accidental, Conklin said. No one, including firefighters, was injured.
The last fire unit cleared the scene by 6:45 p.m., Conklin said. Fairfield firefighters provided coverage at Westport Fire Headquarters during the call.
- 1 Nor'easter To Impact Westport On Wednesday
- 2 Westport Parents Transform Sidewalk With Chalk Messages Of Kindness
- 3 NYC Doctor Is First Person In Tristate Area To Test Positive For Ebola
- 4 Hwang, Fawcett Clash On Same-Sex Marriage In Senate Debate
- 5 Change In Management As CEO Resigns From Westport Weston Family Y