WESTPORT, Conn. – A fire broke out in the rear greenhouse at Daybreak Nurseries in Westport on Wednesday night, but it was extinguished before it could spread to the main portion of the business, fire officials said.
Firefighters received the call at 5:30 p.m. Upon arrival, they saw fire burning through the roof of the greenhouse in the back of the complex, located at 500 Main St., Assistant Fire Chief Larry Conklin said. All of Westport’s on-duty firefighters, plus an engine company from Wilton, responded.
Firefighters contained the flames to the rear of the greenhouse, and the blaze was under control at about after 6:03 p.m., Conklin said.
The fire marshal’s office traced the origin of the fire to a wood-drying kiln in the storage area of the greenhouse and determined the fire was accidental, Conklin said. No one, including firefighters, was injured.
The last fire unit cleared the scene by 6:45 p.m., Conklin said. Fairfield firefighters provided coverage at Westport Fire Headquarters during the call.
- 1 Westport Lawyer Charged With Stealing $600K From Clients
- 2 Vespa Serves Up Casual Fine Dining In Westport
- 3 Lower Fairfield County Ranked As Most Unequal Place In Nation
- 4 Protesters In Westport Rally Against Racism In America
- 5 Westport Woman Officially Opens Fairfield's Pure Barre Fitness Studio