Contact Us
Westport Daily Voice serves Weston & Westport

Menu

Westport Daily Voice serves Weston & Westport

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Extension Cord Sparks Westport Basement Fire

Westport firefighters doused a small basement fire cause by a faulty extension cord Saturday morning at an Inwood Lane home.
Westport firefighters doused a small basement fire cause by a faulty extension cord Saturday morning at an Inwood Lane home. Photo Credit: Contributed: Westport Fire Department

WESTPORT, Conn. — A faulty extension cord was blamed for a small fire that erupted in the basement of a home on Inwood Lane in Westport on Saturday morning, fire officials said.

Firefighters were called to the home shortly after 7 a.m. on a report of smoke coming from the basement. Upon arrival, crews found a 3-by 5-foot area of rug in the basement on fire, Assistant Chief William Dingee said in a statement.

Firefighters put down the flames using a pressurized water extinguisher and shut down circuit breakers in the house, Dingee reported. Fans were used to clear smoke from the home.

The Westport Fire Marshal’s Office determined the blaze was caused by an extension cord used to power a dehumidifier, Dingee said.

“Residents are reminded to plug all portable appliances directly into wall outlets and utilize different circuits to reduce overloading causing possible overheating of wiring,” he said.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Westport Daily Voice!

Serves Weston & Westport

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.