WESTPORT, Conn. – Towels caught on fire in a commercial dryer at the Washing Well in downtown Westport Wednesday morning, Westport Deputy Fire Chief Robert Kepchar reported.
Firefighters responded to an alarm at 139 Main St. at around 8:30 a.m. and discovered smoke coming from the crawl space in the back of the building, Kepchar said. It was later determined that the smoke was coming from the Washing Well, on the opposite side of the building at 140 Parker Harding Plaza, where towels had caught on fire in one of the commercial dyers, Kepchar said.
The remains of the towels were discarded by firefighters and Fire Marshal Ed Zygmant was called to investigate the fire. The scene was cleared at approximately 9:05 a.m.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.