WESTPORT, Conn. – The occupants of a home on Broadview Road in Westport escaped injury Monday night after a fire erupted in one of the home’s bathrooms, Assistant Westport Fire Chief Larry Conklin said.
The fire broke out at approximately 7:19 p.m. in a first floor bathroom, which was undergoing renovations, Conklin said. The home’s occupants were already outside when firefighters arrived and smoke was seen coming from the rear of the building, Conklin said.
The fire was quickly extinguished and fans were used to clear the home of smoke, Conklin said. The fire marshal’s office was called to investigate and the scene was cleared by 8:34 p.m., he said.
Conklin said the home had working smoke detectors, which were monitored by a security company.
“The alarm company called in the initial problem to the fire department,” Conklin said. “This is a reminder to all home owners to have some type of operating smoke detectors in their residence.”