WESTPORT, Conn. - Hilda Kraus of Westport died June 2. She was 99.
Kraus was born in New York City, to Isaac and Sadie (Langer). She earned a B.A. from Hunter College 1935: postgraduate at International Academy of Art, Salzburg, Austria, 1967, 72, 77. She was an apprentice to a Danish silversmith for three years. She studied traditional enameling methods in the great centers of Europe (France, Italy, Germany) and was a well known designer, artist, jeweler, enamellist and metalwork designer. At one time she had shops in New York City and Maine. When she moved to Westport in the 50's she had her studio in her home. She was a lifetime member of the Silvermine Guild of Artists.
Kraus is survived by her nephews, Dick Kraus of Long Island, N.Y., and Joel Goldschmidt of Red Bank, N.J.; and longtime friend, Nell Mullen of Fairfield. She was predeceased by her parents; sisters, Ann, Ruth, Helen; and brothers, Jack and Morris.
A memorial service will be held at a later date.
Donations may be made in her memory to the Brookfield Craft Center P.O. Box 122 Brookfield, CT 06804-0122, Masonic Home Health & Hospice, c/o The Masonic Charity Foundation of CT, 74 Cheshire Road, P.O. Box 70, Wallingford, CT. 06492
For more information, please visit: http://www.nutmegcremation.com
- 1 Westport Natives Open 'Progressive Smoke Shop' In Bridgeport
- 2 Yale-New Haven Hospital Admits Patient With Ebola-Like Symptoms
- 3 Once In A Million Space Event Will Be Over Westport Skies Sunday
- 4 Connecticut Prepares After Yale Student Shows Ebola-Like Symptoms
- 5 Motorcyclist Injured After Colliding With Box Truck In Westport