WESTPORT, Conn. — Westport native Justin Paul continues to rack up the accolades.
The 2003 Staples High grad, who recently won an Oscar for Best Original Song for "City of Stars" from "La La Land," has just been nominated Tuesday for a Tony Award for his work on the Broadway show, "Dear Evan Hansen."
He is nominated under the Best Original Score category.
As with "La La Land," he shares the credit with his writing partner Benj Pasek.
Their competition this year in Best Original Score are:
- "Come From Away," with Music & Lyrics by Irene Sankoff and David Hein
- "Groundhog Day, The Musical," with Music & Lyrics by Tim Minchin
- "Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812," with Music & Lyrics by Dave Malloy
"Dear Evan Hansen" also got a Tony nod for Best Musical.
Other Best Musical contenders include “Come From Away," "Groundhog Day The Musical,” and “Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812.”
In total, "Dear Evan Hansen" earned nine Tony nominations, behind only "Great Comet" with 12. The other seven nominations for "Dear Evan Hansen" are:
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical: Ben Platt
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Musical: Mike Faist
- Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Musical: Rachel Bay Jones
- Best Book of a Musical: Steven Levenson
- Best Lighting Design of a Musical: Japhy Weideman
- Best Direction of a Musical: Michael Greif
- Best Orchestrations: Alex Lacamoire
Winners will be determined by some 850 industry insiders. Kevin Spacey will host the awards show June 11 from Radio City Music Hall.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.