WESTPORT, Conn. -- A search committee has been formed to recommend a replacement to fill the vacancy due to the retirement of Westport's Parks & Recreation Director Stuart McCarthy , First Selectman Jim Marpe announced.
The search should be completed in 30 to 60 days. The members of the search committee are:
- Charlie Haberstroh, chair, Parks & Recreation Commission;
- Karen Hess, member, Parks & Recreation Commission;
- Edward Iannone, member, Parks & Recreation Commission;
- Alec Stevens, member, Parks & Recreation Commission;
- David Floyd, chair, RTM Parks & Recreation Committee;
- Marge Cion, director of Human Services, Westport Board of Education;
- Diane Parrish, community representative;
- Gerry Lombardo, Town of Fairfield, Parks & Recreation; and
- director ex-officio, Ralph Chetcuti, Town of Westport, director of Human Resources.
“I look forward to working with this dedicated group of people. We believe that there will be many strong candidates for this position. The Parks and Recreation Director plays an important and highly visible role in our community. We will fill the position with the most qualified candidate," said Haberstroh, who will chair the Search Committee.
“In addition to being grateful to those who will embark in this search, I am particularly pleased that Gerry Lombardo, Parks & Recreation director for the Town of Fairfield, has agreed to share his expertise and serve in this capacity. Fairfield has a well-deserved reputation of Parks & Recreation management and organization, due in great part to Gerry’s ability and dedication,” said Marpe.
Marpe has appointed Chetcuti to assume the management responsibilities at the Parks and Recreation Department until a new director is hired.
“With the onset of the summer months – the busiest of the Parks & Recreation Department’s season – it is vitally important that the current Parks & Recreation leadership team remain focused on their responsibilities within the department," said Marpe.
"Westporters can be assured that the high level of service that they have come to expect from the Parks & Recreation Department will not be diminished during this transition. Chetcuti’s role will be to oversee coordination of those activities and address administrative matters that require senior management attention. His prior experience will prove most valuable as the Town transitions to a new Parks & Recreation Director."
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.