A gas leak on the roof of a shopping plaza was shut down with the help of Westport firefighters Friday afternoon.
Workers who were shoveling snow off the roof of the plaza at 1543 Post Road E. reported the leak at 3:21 p.m. The workers told firefighters they heard a hissing sound and smelled gas.
After all the stores were evacuated, firefighters found the source of the leak: a corroded gas line servicing an HVAC unit on the roof, Assistant Fire Chief Robert Kepchar said. A worker from Southern Connecticut Gas shut off the gas after firefighters dug the meter out from the snow. Three other gas meters in the back of the plaza were also dug out.
No one was injured, and plaza occupants were allowed to go back inside. The Westport Fire Department reminds business owners to clear snow from utility shutoffs on their properties.
Follow The Daily Westport on Twitter .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.