WESTON, Conn. -- The public works facility in Weston is hosting "Good Riddance Day" on Saturday, April 26.
The program allows residents to dispose of potentially hazardous household products safely. The drop off will take place from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday, April 26, at the Public Works facility at 78 Old Hyde Road in Weston. The program is also open to residents of Darien, Greenwich, New Canaan, Norwalk, Stamford, Westport, Weston and Wilton.
There is no charge for participation in the collection day. Proof of residency is required to dispose of items.
The following is a list of items that will be accepted during "Good Riddance Day:"
- Acids moth balls
- aerosols oven cleaners
- Ammonia cleaners paint – oil base only
- anti-freeze paint removers
- disinfectants paint thinners
- drain openers pesticides
- flea powder photo chemicals
- furniture polish rust removers
- gasoline spot removers
- herbicides stains
- household batteries swimming pool chemicals
- household cleaners toilet bowl cleaners
- insecticides transmission fluid
- kerosene turpentine
- Mercury thermometers varnishes
Residents are asked to use the following packing tips to bring household hazardous waste products to the collection:
- use original container
- seal tightly
- place upright in carton
- use newspaper/kitty litter between containers
- use separate cartons for each type of material
- secure cartons in car trunk
- drive carefully
- do not smoke
- leave children and pets at home
- stay in your vehicle at all times
- bring a crossword puzzle or something to read while you wait in line
The Public Works Facility is located on Old Hyde Road between Lord’s Highway and Steephill Road. For more information, residents can call the Selectmen’s Office at 203-222-2656.