WESTPORT, Conn. – With 2012 coming to an end, The Westport Daily Voice is looking back at some of the year's biggest stories.
Andrew Robert Levene, the suspect in the Dec. 8, 2011 murder of Westport resident and business owner Yekutiel "Kuti" Zeevi, was arrested Jan. 23 in Barcelona, Spain on federal murder, robbery and firearms charges.
Levene, 41, was believed to have fatally shot Zeevi, 65, during a diamond robbery at Zeevi's Post Road East business, Y.Z. Jewelry Manufacturing. Six diamonds worth about $300,000 were stolen.
Levene was captured following a seven-week investigation that included Westport police, state police, U.S. Marshals and the FBI.
Westport police even teamed up with "America's Most Wanted," a TV show that helps law enforcement agencies track down wanted persons.
Levene was tracked, in part, by his cell phone. Three days after his arrest, Levene was found dead in his prison cell at Barcelona's Modelo prison, where he was being held pending extradition to Connecticut. A Spanish newspaper reported Levene hanged himself using clothing.
- 1 Westport Police Arrest Two After Lengthy Narcotics Investigation
- 2 Westport's Dalio Is Connecticut's Wealthiest Billionaire
- 3 Winter Weather Advisory Issued For New Round Of Snow Tuesday In Westport
- 4 Westport Could See Up To 6 Inches Of Snow In New Storm
- 5 Snow Could Be Returning To Westport Tuesday