WESTPORT, Conn. – With 2012 coming to an end, The Westport Daily Voice is looking back at some of the year's biggest stories.
Andrew Robert Levene, the suspect in the Dec. 8, 2011 murder of Westport resident and business owner Yekutiel "Kuti" Zeevi, was arrested Jan. 23 in Barcelona, Spain on federal murder, robbery and firearms charges.
Levene, 41, was believed to have fatally shot Zeevi, 65, during a diamond robbery at Zeevi's Post Road East business, Y.Z. Jewelry Manufacturing. Six diamonds worth about $300,000 were stolen.
Levene was captured following a seven-week investigation that included Westport police, state police, U.S. Marshals and the FBI.
Westport police even teamed up with "America's Most Wanted," a TV show that helps law enforcement agencies track down wanted persons.
Levene was tracked, in part, by his cell phone. Three days after his arrest, Levene was found dead in his prison cell at Barcelona's Modelo prison, where he was being held pending extradition to Connecticut. A Spanish newspaper reported Levene hanged himself using clothing.
- 1 Westport's First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 2 Merritt Reopens In Greenwich After Truck Slams Into Bridge, Catches Fire
- 3 Former Staples Star Leads Unbeaten Amherst Football Team
- 4 Family Dietitian Greenspun Opens New Westport Location
- 5 Another Frigid Winter Unlikely In Westport, NOAA Predicts