Contact Us
Westport Daily Voice serves Weston & Westport
Return to your home site


Westport Daily Voice serves Weston & Westport

Nearby Towns


Small Fire Erupts in Westport Garage

WESTPORT, Conn. – Westport firefighters were called to a home on Duck Pond Road on Friday night on the report of smoke, Assistant Fire Chief John Plofkin Jr. reported.

When firefighters arrived at the home, they found a plastic painter's tray in the garage had caught fire. The fire was quickly extinguished, Plofkin said, and firefighters then cleared the home of smoke and checked carbon monoxide levels.

An hour before, firefighters were dispatched to a home on Quentin Road on the report of an electrical outlet fire. Plofkin said the homeowner shut down power to the house before firefighters arrived.

When firefighters arrived, they checked to make sure the fire had not spread inside the wall and then removed the outlet. The electrical equipment caught fire because it had been submerged during flooding caused by Hurricane Irene.

Residents are urged to have any electrical equipment that was submerged in floodwaters checked by a licensed electrician before energizing the circuits, Plofkin said.

The fire on Duck Pond Road was deemed an accident. To avoid such incidents, Plofkin said residents should properly dispose of oily rags by placing them outside in a metal garbage bin or allowing them to air dry outdoors before disposing of them. Residents are urged to have working carbon monoxide and smoke detectors in their homes.

Follow The Daily Westport on Facebook and Twitter.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Westport Daily Voice!

Serves Weston & Westport

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.