Flames reported on the roof of the Little Kitchen Restaurant in the Compo Shopping Center were put out quickly before causing any major damage.
The Westport Fire Department was called to the restaurant at 423 Post Road E. shortly before 2 p.m. Firefighters saw smoke coming from the roof and climbed up to investigate, Assistant Fire Chief Andrew Kingsbury said. Workers who were torching down roofing materials accidently ignited filters in the air-handling unit, he said.
No stores in the shopping center were affected as the fire damage was contained to the air-handling unit.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.