EASTON, Conn. Hot embers left after a chimney cleaning were blamed for a house fire on Sport Hill Parkway in Easton, Fire Marshal Peter Near said.
The Easton Fire Department were called to the home just after 8 p.m. Monday after receiving a report of a basement fire. At the scene, Neary said, firefighters found the residence filled with smoke and [an] active fire next to a basement closet.
The fire started after the "cleanout door" of a fireplace was left open and embers ignited nearby objects, Neary said.
The fire was quickly extinguished by the fire department, and no injuries were reported. The fire caused $60,000 in damage, Neary said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.