WESTPORT, Conn. -- Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Westport this week:
- Westport's Staples High School will honor 18 students for their outstanding academic achievements at the annual High Honors Dinner.
- A gas explosion in Harlem killed at least eight people and shut down all Metro-North service for hours.
- Westport school administrators and police officers dominate the list of Westport’s highest wage earners for 2013 , according to salary information released by the town and school district.
- Initial investigations into the fire on Crane Street that killed a 47-year-old woman and her 19-year-old daughter show that there were no workings smoke alarms in the house that could have alerted the residents.
- A Danbury resident and teacher Michael Maida, 44, at the Convent of the Sacred Heart turned himself in to Greenwich police after a warrant was issued for his arrest on charges of having inappropriate sexual contact with a student .
- A 23-year-old New Haven man Yannick Williams accused of stealing a car in Bridgeport was arrested in Westport.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.