Contact Us
Westport Daily Voice serves Weston & Westport
Return to your home site

Menu

Westport Daily Voice serves Weston & Westport

Nearby Towns

news

Gas Leak Causes Basement Fire At Westport Home

Westport firefighters respond to a fire caused by a gas leak at an Oak Street home Tuesday morning.
Westport firefighters respond to a fire caused by a gas leak at an Oak Street home Tuesday morning. Photo Credit: Contributed: Westport Fire Department

WESTPORT, Conn. — A small fire that broke out in the basement of a home on Oak Street in Westport on Tuesday morning due to a gas leak was quickly put out by firefighters, Westport fire officials said.

Firefighters were called to the home at approximately 9:45 a.m. by workers removing an old hot water heater. The workers reported that the gas line shut-off failed and the escaping gas ignited, causing a fireball that lit nearby installation manuals on fire, Assistant Fire Chief William Dingee reported.

When fire crews arrived, they found smoke coming from the basement in the back of the house, Dingee said. Once in the basement, firefighters used a fire extinguisher to put out the burning manuals, he said.

Heat from the fire damaged a PVC drain pipe and nearby wiring, Dingee said. The fire in the basement was confined to the burning manuals thanks to the quick thinking of the workers, who alerted the home’s occupants to get out and turn off the gas supply valve on the exterior of the house, Dingee said.

Firefighters ventilated the house using a fan and notified the Southern Connecticut Gas Co. to verify the gas was safely disconnected to the house, Dingee said.

The Westport Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating the cause of the fire.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Westport Daily Voice!

Serves Weston & Westport

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.