WESTPORT, Conn. A fire that erupted in the finished basement of a house on Half Mile Common in Westport Thursday night was extinguished before it spread throughout the home, Assistant Fire Chief Larry Conklin reported.
Fire crews were called to the home at approximately 7:21 p.m. The occupants were already outside, and unharmed, upon arrival. In addition to knocking out the blaze before it worsened, firefighters saved the familys 6-year-old guinea pig from inside, Conklin said.
Fire damage was contained to the ceiling and wall of a bathroom in the basement. Smoky conditions throughout the house were ventilated by firefighters, said Conklin.
"The initial response to this fire was because of a smoke detector, Conklin said, citing the need for residents to make sure their smoke detectors are working properly.
A Fairfield Fire engine provided coverage at Westport Fire Headquarters during the blaze. The last Westport fire unit left the home by about 9:40 p.m.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.