Neighbors grabbed their belongings and got out of Dodge Wednesday night as fire claimed two trailers at Sasco Creek Village. Firefighters from Westport and Fairfield responded to the blaze, which set off a small stockpile of fireworks inside one of the trailers.
Neighbors saw 15- to 20-foot flames climbing over the roof of the connected trailers and called the fire department. They speculated that a fire in a cooking grill spread to dry grass and trees, but weren't certain. The fire department is still investigating.
Ines Jatzeck grabbed a suitcase, her birth certificate and fled her unit across from the growing inferno. "I was outside just watching this glow and thinking, 'Why would anyone have an open fire in this heat.' Then I saw the flames jump up the tree and catch the roof on fire," said Jatzeck.
Efforts to get the fire under control ran into a hitch when the fireworks began exploding. Neighbors said they could hear small explosions. The intense heat melted vinyl siding on another nearby trailer.
Crews from Fairfield responded as a Rapid Intervention Unit. Wilton firefighters helped cover headquarters while nearly all of Westport's available units were on the scene.
Two Westport firefighters received minor injuries and were taken to Norwalk for evaluation.
"Once [the fire] was in control we all gave each other a hug and said thanks that everyone was OK. We're a very tight community," said Jatzeck.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.