EASTON, Conn. A fire that destroyed a house on Judd Road on Saturday night was one of the worst Easton Fire Chief Jim Girardi said he has ever experienced because it set off fireworks in the basement that prevented firefighters from entering the home for 20 minutes.
They were a danger to the lives of my guys, he said. The fireworks were going off horizontal instead of vertical. They set fire to the woods and were a threat to the house next door.
The house next door was saved because Girardis crew stretched an attack line up the adjacent driveway, he said.
The fire is under investigation by the Easton Fire Marshals office, the Easton Police Department and the State Fire Marshals office. Girardi said he doesnt know how the fire started, but he said it wasn't caused by the fireworks.
Firefighters were also hampered by a downed power line in front of the house that blocked access.
The fire department arrived at 6:03 p.m. Saturday. The owner, who Girardi said lived with his wife and teenage daughter, received minor injuries. No firefighters were hurt.
Girardi and Easton Police Chief James Candee were uncertain how long the investigation will take.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.