A fire broke out Sunday afternoon at a home on Hillspoint Road in Westport but was extinguished before any major damage was done.
At 1:18 p.m., Westport firefighters were called to 82 Hillspoint Road on the report of a house fire. When firefighters arrived, they found the remains of a small fire in the home's mudroom that had been put out by the homeowners with a portable fire extinguisher, Assistant Fire Chief Robert Kepchar said.
According to Kepchar, the homeowners told firefighters they placed fireplace ashes from the night before in a bag and cardboard box. Shortly after, they reportedly smelled smoke, found the fire, called 911 and doused the flames.
The fire marshal was also called to investigate, and firefighters removed the debris from the home. The Westport Fire Department reminds residents that fireplace ashes should be disposed of in metal containers and placed outside, away from structures and vehicles.
Follow the Daily Westport on Facebook .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.