WESTON, Conn. — A 14-year-old boy on a field trip was taken to Norwalk Hospital for treatment after he was bit by a copperhead snake at Devil's Den Preserve in Weston on Monday, according to the Weston Forum .
The boy, who was not identified and was from out of town, reached out to touch the snake, Mark Blake of the Weston Volunteer Fire Department told the Forum.
Copperhead snakes are venomous, but the venom is relatively mild and rarely lethal to humans, according to the Forum.
Blake said copperheads, which are common in the area, can strike without warning and residents should exercise caution around them, according to the Forum story.
The Weston Forum said first responders believed a copperhead was responsible for the bite based on the description and nature of the bite.
Read the full story here at the Weston Forum.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.