Parks and Recreation Director Stuart McCarthy wants to make sure everyone has a fair shot at appreciating the July 2 fireworks at Compo Beach. So his department is asking those attending to show consideration for others.
"In the past few years, we have seen an increase in residents cordoning off sections of the beach in anticipation of guests arriving later in the day," said McCarthy in a prepared statement. "The Parks and Recreation Commission has asked that staff discourage this activity as both inconsiderate of fellow beachgoers and inconsistent with beach regulations."
The topic came up during the June 14 Parks and Recreation Commission meeting, the last over which Richard Kestenbaum presided. They talked about the growing numbers of beachgoers roping off sections of the beach for private use. At first, it was just some markers around chairs. But in recent years, some people have begun roping off entire sections for private parties. Commission members said some have gone so far as to post lookouts to temporarily move stakes if they think an officer or recreation personnel are approaching.
That is the behavior McCarthy wants to discourage. His staff will be watching for that activity and asking residents to refrain.
Compo Beach will be closed at 4 p.m. on July 2 to all but fireworks ticket-holders. The beach entrance will close at 4 p.m. and reopen as soon as those without tickets are cleared from the parking areas.
Entrance to the beach is expected to be closed for up to one hour, and cars will not be permitted to wait on Compo Beach Road. Dan DeVito, Parks and Recreation Operations Supervisor, suggests fireworks ticket-holders be in the beach prior to 4 p.m. or plan to arrive after 5 p.m.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.