WESTPORT, Conn. — Westport Sunrise Rotary’s Charitable Giving Committee Chair Gene Cederbaum recently presented awards to 24 nonprofits at its recent annual Beneficiary Bash at Christ & Holy Trinity Church.
The club funds these organizations with proceeds from its Great Duck Race, which will take place from 1-4 p.m. on Saturday, June 4 on the Saugatuck River, and its late October wine-tasting event.
The award recipients were:
- Jane Delworth accepted an award for Burroughs Community Center in Bridgeport. Burroughs hosts many groups and programs that foster individual and community success, help clients overcome barriers to opportunity and foster understanding.
- Robin Hammond represented CLASP Homes of Westport. CLASP provides residences and opportunities for people with autism and other developmental disabilities.
- Ellen Spear received a check for Phoebe’s Phriends. Her daughter, Phoebe, was diagnosed with bone cancer as a fifth-grader and leukemia three years later. She is now a cancer-free Staples High School junior. As a freshman, she formed Phoebe’s Phriends to raise money for pediatric cancer research at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
- Mary Ellen Marpe received an award for ITNCoastalCT, a group whose volunteer drivers provide rides around the clock for seniors and the visually impaired.
- Barbara Butler, who will retire from her position as director of human services for the town, received funding for a program that gives middle school students the opportunity to volunteer in community organizations.
Funding also was given to many other nonprofits, including Homes with Hope, Builders Beyond Borders, Andrew’s Army, Project Morry, The Susan Fund, Mercy Learning Center and Literacy Volunteers of Greater Bridgeport.
The core of Rotary International’s ethos is "Service Above Self," a part of which is raising and donating money to nonprofits.
To learn more about Westport Sunrise Rotary, e-mail Ron Holtz at firstname.lastname@example.org, click here or visit Westport Sunrise Rotary at The Westport Inn, 1595 Post Road East, at 7:30 a.m. every Friday.
For more information on The Great Duck Race, click here .
The Great Duck Race is at the Saugatuck River, Parker Harding Plaza in Westport.