Contact Us
Westport Daily Voice serves Weston & Westport
Return to your home site


Westport Daily Voice serves Weston & Westport

Nearby Towns

Breaking News: Showers, Storms For First Saturday Of Summer

V-Day Westport Takes to the Stage Once More

Women from all walks of life — some young, some mature, some actresses and some not — are joining forces for two benefit performances of "The Vagina Monologues" at the Westport Country Playhouse on Sunday.

After the success of last year's production, V-Day Westport is once again bringing the award-winning play, written by Eve Ensler, to town to raise funds and awareness to end violence against women and girls, locally and globally.

"It has been both a privilege and an honor to be a catalyst for the change we all want to see in our community, to authentically connect with the lives of these women and in so doing, with ourselves," said Jill Jaysen, director of V-Day Westport's production of "The Vagina Monologues" and founder of Center Stage Theatre Company, in a statement.

Last year's performances raised $30,000 for the Domestic Violence Crisis Center, an agency in Stamford that serves Stamford, Norwalk, Westport, New Canaan, Darien, Wilton and Weston. Proceeds from Sunday's performances will once again benefit the center, which will receive 90 percent of the profits. The remaining 10 percent will go to V-Day's City of Joy, Earthquake Victims in Haiti.

"Westport has always provided a tremendous amount of support to the DVCC through individuals committed to working toward the elimination of domestic violence," said center Executive Director Rachelle Kucera Mehra. "But this community effort by the Center Stage Theatre Company, the actors and members of the theater community, activists and concerned citizens is just overwhelming."

The V-Day movement , a global activist movement to stop violence against women and girls, has raised more than $80 million and reached 300 million people in the last 11 years. The movement is growing at a rapid pace throughout the world, in 130 countries from Europe to Asia, Africa and the Caribbean, and all of North America.

Nine Westport women are involved in this year's production: Sarah Green, Caryn Vallone, Dee Andrian, Mary Dezso, Lorie Fagin Weisinger, Mindy Goff, Elizabeth Kessler, Amy van Arsdale and Victoria Sybelnik.

Performances will be at 1 and 5 p.m. Tickets are $25, $35 or $50, and can be purchased by calling the Playhouse box office at 203-227-4177 or online .

Photo identification: Front row, from left: Alisa Pruner, Sarah Green, Annie Beon, producer Caryn Vallone, director Jill Jayson and Dee Andrian. Back row, from left: Lorie Fagin Weisinger, Mindy Goff, Nicolé Eaddy, Elizabeth Kessler, Tammy Nelson and Amy van Arsdale.

Have you seen "The Vagina Monologues?" Will you attend the benefit performance?

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Westport Daily Voice!

Serves Weston & Westport

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.